Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Athletics Becoming an Idol at Our Kids and Country's Cost.

I'm pretty upset at Americans and their worship of college athletics. Many seem to feel that colleges are there for their entertainment. The facility is berated for a losing season. We hear "So and so SUCKS" when the team is having a rough day, not the school. I like athletics. It's a wonderful display of God given talent.
But, sports is an extra curricular activity. The school isn't there for the sports. The sports is a great offspring of the school. Frankly, I would want my child to go to MIT rather than Oklahoma or Alabama, per say. I want the focus to be on education, not boosters, advertising and the coaches multi-million dollar salary. That money should go to the instructors and professors who actually perform a service for the young adult preparing to enter the real world. Americans need to make a reality check. What's worth more to a parent, their child or getting a very expensive risk for a team. A coach doesn't come w/ guarantees. He/she does keep the money, though.
Sports has just really gotten out of control in today's world!

No comments: