Wednesday, October 6, 2010

From Left Field

I got, what I consider, a surprise notice from God a week or so ago. Every Christmas we receive a card from my ex-wife. I've been burning them or just tossing them in the trash for about ten yrs, now. Just nuisance mail, I figured.
Well, I was informed that these "Greetings" could be a chance to, 1. Right an old wrong, and 2. Remove a smudge I put on the term "Christian".
My ex asked me once, when I was still young and stupid, if she was being punished w/ Diabetes for something she had done in her past. In my ignorance, I said something like, "You must have done something to deserve it". Bam!! Damage to God's name I couldn't undo over the seven yrs we new each other.
The "still, small Voice" let me know all I have to do is get the return address off of the envelope this Christmas. Then, mail a card in return admitting my stupidity and stating God's love for all of us. Next,(and this is where she's going to think I need medication) remind her we have an enemy that hates God and all His creation. he will do anything to turn us away from His grace, and he is a very cruel,jealous enemy.
Why does God allow this? My best explanation is Free Will. He wants us to have faith that He will guide us thru the tough times. He'll be with us thru those times and be on the other side w/ open arms. But, He doesn't want an army of robots that are programmed to love Him. He wants us to love Him freely, in a sense, like we love our parents. We don't ask our parents to prove they love us, we just know. There's a reason He calls us His children, I think. Children have an unquestioning warmth and love, for a time. I can't imagine what it would be like to have a child that didn't emanate that love, and I don't want to.

No comments: